This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy
Slow Cooker Ham Chowder; perfect for those cold and snowy days when you just want to curl up with a book by the fire.
Fact: Snow sucks.
Sure it’s Christmas-y, and fluffy, and fun, and cold, and awesome, and you can build snow men, and ski, and what not. But for those of us who aren’t snow people, who want to do all that snow stuff, it just downright sucks. It’s wet. It’s cold. And people drive like raging menopausal lunatics at the first sign of a flurry. Let’s not mention those crazy people that crawl out from under their rocks to ransack your local market because the weatherman mentioned precipitation.
Maybe this all stems from the fact that I still work on snow days. And, that driving to work resulted in my car being smashed last week by another person who can’t drive in the snow. But the truth is, if it’s going to snow, we should all be huddled around a warm pot of soup with our loved ones all cuddly and stuff. Something right out of Happy Days, and far away from the roads and the crazy people. They can have the highways. I have control of the food. Because I’m not crazy, and always keep a supply of eggs and bread in my pantry. Because, no matter how many inches we get, I can whip together something. And if push comes to shove, there’s a stash of Pop Tarts somewhere in this house.
This weather makes me crave some ham chowder
So for all of you who love snow, this one’s for you, a snowed in slow cooker ham chowder with what I had on hand when things started going down.
Now give me some sunshine.
If you’ve tried my Slow-Cooker Ham Chowder recipe or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
Try these recipes while you’re at it. Soup’s On!
Slow-Cooker Ham ChowderPrint Pin Rate
- 24 oz tiny yellow potatoes cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 12 oz can evaporated fat-free milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 - 1 1/2 cup diced cooked ham
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1/2 to 1 head broccoli chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large slow cooker, place the potatoes, onion, and garlic. Pour the chicken broth over top.
- Allow to cook on high for 3 hours.
- Whick the cornstarch with the evaporated milk in a bowl. Whisk into the broth.
- Using an immersion blender, puree some of the soup so that it thickens. Leave some large chunks of potato for texture or puree it all to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the thyme, ham, carrots, broccoli, and cheese into the soup.
- Cover and let cook 30 minutes longer until the cheese has melted into the soup and the broccoli has softened a bit.
- Serve ladled into bowls with extra cheese on top if desired.