This fun and fresh jerk chicken recipe comes together quickly for those busy weeknight dinners and the delicious avocado-orange salsa will make your mouth water and lips smile.
Don’t be afraid to think outside of the box when it comes to anything – but especially dinner. So many of us get caught up in the same old go-to’s for dinner. Things you know your family will love. No one will complain about, and will get even the picky ones to sit and clear their plate. But it gets boring. And uninspired. Cooking should be fun. Every. Single. Night. It should be turn off the TV, turn up the tunes, together time for couples or anyone who went the Seventh Heaven route. There’s a disconnect these days. Let’s bring that back. And let’s take a quick trip to the islands while we’re at it. This fun and fresh jerk chicken recipe comes together quickly for those busy weeknight and the delicious avocado-orange salsa piled high on top will totally make your mouth water and lips smile.
Get the grill started. Dinner just got fun again.
Chicken is a great protein to base your dinner on. But it often ends up bland, boring, dried out… Don’t let that happen. These recipes will have your family begging for more!
If you’ve tried my Jerk Chicken with Avocado-Orange Salsa Recipe, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ teas cumin seeds
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro snipped
- salt and pepper
- 4 teas packed brown sugar
- 1 teas espresso powder
- 1 ½ teas garlic powder
- 1 ½ teas dried thyme
- 1 ½ teas allspice
- 1 ½ teas paprika
- ½ teas cayenne
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed
- 1 avocado seeded and diced
- 1 cup canned mandarin orange slices drained
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 3 tbs lime juice
- 1 teas olive oil
- Cook the rice in chicken broth according to directions, with the addition of the cumin seeds. When cooked, stir in the beans and cilantro. Cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill to medium heat.
- Stir together the brown sugar, espresso powder, garlic powder, thyme, allspice, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl. Arrange the chicken thighs on a single layer, and rub the spice mix heavily over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken 12 to 15 minutes, flipping once half way through cooking, until internal temp is 170 and chicken is cooked through.
- In a small bowl, toss the orange slices, avocado, and minced red onion, with the olive oil and lime juice.
- Serve the chicken over the rice and bean mix and top with the avocado-orange salsa.Garnish with a bit more snipped cilantro.