This Gingered Chicken Meatball Soup with Brown Rice and Basil is easy, quick, and loaded with flavor. This is the ultimate comfort food
You want a big bowl of home-cooked comfort? You make soup. Then you add some good for your body and soul flavors like ginger and basil with healthy little turkey bombs of awesome and you really have stepped up your game in prep for the cold season. This Gingered Chicken Meatball Soup with Brown Rice and Basil is all that and a bag of chips. It’s easy, quick, and loaded with flavor. The little red can may never make an appearance in your house again because this is the ultimate comfort food.
Comfort food that’s healthy, who knew?
If you really liked this recipe and want a slight variation, try out my Ginger Turkey Meatballs with Roasted Carrot Soup.
If you’ve tried my Gingered Chicken Meatball Soup with Brown Rice and Basil, or any other recipe on GirlCarnivore.com please don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know where you found it in the comments below. I get inspired by your feedback and comments! You can also FOLLOW ME on Instagram @girlcarnivore as well as on Twitter and Facebook.
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 2 green onions minced
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger minced
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1 small red pepper minced
- 3 tbs low-sodium soy sauce divided
- 2 teas sesame oil divided
- 1 lbs ground Turkey
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 teas red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup white wine or Japanese cooking wine
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
- Heat 1 tbs canola oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven. Cook the green onions, and half of the garlic and ginger for 5 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the egg whites, panko, pepper, 1 tbs soy sauce, 1 teas sesame oil, and turkey. Add the cooked green onion mix. With your hands, form into 16 small meatballs. Refrigerate until ready to cook, at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to cook, add 1 tbs canola oil to the Dutch oven and cook meatballs until browned on all sides on medium high heat, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining sesame oil to the pan and the onion. Cook for 5 minutes until tender. Add the red pepper flakes, remaining garlic and ginger and cook 30 seconds longer. Stir in the wine and remaining soy sauce; Deglaze the pan. Stir in the broth. water, and honey. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the meatballs and cook until meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Add the brown rice, or reserve, and divide it into the bowls and pour the soup over top. Top with the fresh snipped basil.