Somedays you just need to curl up with a big giant bowl of all things that make you want to dip deep into the closet and bust out the softest coziest stretch pants you have because things are about to gets all sorts of homey. This slow cooker sausage chili is exactly what you want on just that day. All the comfort in one giant bowl – preferably over a super cheesy super creamy homemade mac and cheese. Because who doesn’t love a little bonus mac and cheese at the bottom of the bowl.
Grab the slow cooker and set it on the counter. Make a trip to the butcher for some of your favorite sausage. Make sure it has a little kick – this is chili after all. With about 10 minutes of prep work, this meal comes together without only a few dirty dishes (one bowl and a cutting board – win!). Set it and come home to a fantastic dinner. Set this up before a football game to feed the fans, bring it to the company potluck. Or just pack youself some freezeable lunches to enjoy over the next few weeks. Most of all, I love making a giant batch of chili to smouther leftover mac and cheese. Sure, you could always use rice or egg noodles, but bonus, cheese.
And everyone loves a little added bonus.
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 red peppers, stemmed seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 lbs dried navy beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 lbs kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/2" slices
- 8 oz andouille sausage, cut into 1/2" slices
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs minced chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 teas liquid smoke
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add the onions, red peppers, chili powder, vegetable oil, garlic cloves, cumin, and oregano. Microwave in 1 minute bursts for 5 minutes, until the onions are softened, stirring after every minute.
- Add the broth and water to the slow cooker. Stir in the onions, beans, and sausage.
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce, brown sugar, minced chipotle, and liquid smoke. Stir into the slow cooker. Add the bay leaves and let cook on low for 9 to 11 hours.
- Let the chili chill for 5 minutes off heat. Skim and needed fat from the surface. Strain 1 cup of cooked beans into a shallow dish and mash with a potato masher. Stir the mashed beans back into the chili and allow to thicken 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with scallions.