Grab a spoon and a shot glass, this is chicken soup recipe for your grown-up soul. Not the bowl of the classic pop-top your mama would warm up for you on snow days or to ease a cough. This is a whole new level of the classic chicken soup. Comfort food with a twist to please your over 21 self. Pour a shot of tequila or two and gather ’round a big bowl of this Grilled Chicken Tequila Tortilla Soup because your cozy night in just got amazing.
This chicken tequila soup isn’t as easy as popping everything into a slow cooker, or just picking the meat from a grab and go chicken at the market. Hands down, it’s just not a familiar bowl of perfect chicken soup. There is a step or two involved (marinating and grilling) that take a wee bit of prep, but after that it comes together on the quick and tastes even better on day two. The infusion of the tequila in the marinating process adds a bit of kick to the grill, and using a splash to deglaze the pan adds a little more punch. Finally, the flavors meld as a few corn tortillas desinigrate into the whole package making this a lighter version of those perfect cream based soups.
Slam one back and let’s get to keeping things a cozy up in here.
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 oz good tequila
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teas salt
- 1 teas black pepper
- 3/4 lbs bone-in, chicken thighs (most of these will have the skin on. Just quickly remove the skin before proceeding)
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teas chili powder
- 1 teas cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 corn tortilla, cut into small strips
- Fried corn tortillas, sour cream, lime wedges, avocado
- In a small food processor or blender, pulse the ingredients for the marinade until smooth. Place the chicken thighs in a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over top. Seal the bag and slide the chicken around inside to coat. Place in refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, prep the grill for medium heat. Grill the jalapeno until all sides are blackened and blistering. Remove from heat, wrap in foil and allow to rest until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Stem and seet the jalapeno before dicing it; Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the remaining oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Add in the jalapeno, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and allow to cook for 30 seconds. If you are feeling liberal with that tequila, deglaze the pan with a splash or two, scraping up any browned bits, before slowly whisking in the chicken stock. Add the tomatoes, lime juice and tortilla strips. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Grill the chicken over the hot grill plate while the soup simmers. Grill for 14 to 18 minutes, flipping once through cook time. Allow the chicken to rest, covered, while the soup continues to simmer.
- When ready to serve, remove the chicken from the bone and add it to the soup.
- Serve with desired garnishes.